April 1, 2011

Since moving my studio home, I have had mixed reactions of working in a small space and not having ALL my looms available to play on. So I did what any creative person would do -- keep on creating! My first block was overcome with modifying my equipment. As some of you may remember, I started a project called "The Open Reed" and now I have some finished pictures to show. What a great project!
Notice how the open spaces are varying heights and create different undulations. Woven with a raw silk warp and a wool/rayon weft. Minimal shrinkage.


My other project from this winter was Summer and Winter. I wove this at Saunderstown Weaving School where I am also the studio assistant to Norma Smayda, Master Weaver and director of the school. My first S & W project led me to texture.......
This amazing weave structure is so versatile, I can't believe I have never used it before! This is a honeycomb treadling highlighting the cells (or blocks) at random intervals. The warp is a 20/2 cotton. Weft is 60/2 silk and a heavy Harrisville Wool for the outline. It has finished beautifully. The cloth is headed to the sewing machine to be made into pillows for my curved purple couch!


I believe there are still some openings in my weaving class at Slater Mill Community Guild Studios for this next session. If interested, contact Bernadette@Slatermill.org

No comments:

Post a Comment