April 28, 2011

Electronic Scarf
I must admit this is not a new idea -- I have been inspired for a number of months by eTextile artist Lynne Bruning (www.lbruning.com), but for me it is AWESOME! I have NO background in electronics, electricity, or connectivity. Yet, Lynne's INSTRUCTABLES and website totally made me do it! Yes, Lynne, I am blaming you for all this creativity bursting out of my head and hands!


What I have done is use 3 different weft leads. Two of those leads, contain conductive thread. One of the leads is insulating (contains no conductivity) to prevent the - and + side of the LEDs to touch. The difficulty is in attention to keeping Positive to Positive on the + Weft Lead and the Negative to Negative on the - Weft Lead. And I used the same dark blue wool and nylon ribbon weft for the neutral insulating lead. My son, Dillon, helped me write a schematic diagram to help keep all the leads straight. It is quite simple once you draw it out. Just remember to always keep the +'s on the same side and the -'s on a different side. Mark your beginning and ending leads when you start.
     Now, how is all this going to be "hooked up"? With a 3V coin battery and battery holder that I bought at Radio Shack! And what makes the final charge? A simple clothing snap or hook and eye. I will put a decorative button on the outside of the scarf on the opposite side of the female part and the battery with the male part of the snap will go on the other end. When the scarf is snapped closed -- the LEDs will shine shine shine!
     

1 comment: