March 13, 2010


The Reed Project
Since moving my studio home, I have been feeling disappointed with the situation. So I have challenged myself with a following through on a desire I have had in the back of my mind for a few years now -- manipulating the weft threads without using the heddles. Inspired by the Macrogauze series of Peter Collingwood's, I had a friend cut off the top of a 12 dent reed for me so I can move threads across the web in front of the reed. It works, but only for a few threads at a time -- no more than 4 can cross or you will be stuck with no shed to weave with. The structure is like a leno lace.
I also have figured out how to "pinch" the tops of the dents to create a modified fan! Eventually I will be able to create a false ondule`! I need to figure out a way to move the beater up and down to do that. I tried raising the warp threads on the back of the loom, but since I am using a jack loom, all that does is make it harder to weave by raising the heddles! (of course!)

After I am done sampling with this idea, check out my next lesson:

Yes, those are individual reed sections about 2 1/2 inches wide each. We will have to see how they help create spaces in the warp!

Ann Sutton's books, "Ideas in Weaving" and "The Structure of Weaving" along with the book, "Falcots Weave Compendium" are quite helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment